07 May 2010

The 'Pool of Life

Liverpool
Day Four/Five...

I would be lying if I said I could keep track of the days once we got where we were going. Besides Matchdays, and the Grand National (but even for those I am going to have to look at the calendar and count) life was just life...and that was more than okay. We drove from Birmingham mulling over The Reds draw and what we was next. We got there later than we'd expected (having the match moved a day back on us and all) we should have arrived Sunday morning, and here it was Sunday night, but we didn't have to stay in Birmingham...so (not that there is anything wrong with that...either way that is.) And were met by the apartment manager, who (being who I am) I can't remember his name for sure (I've always said that I am horrible with; names, faces, numbers, and really anything that needs to be remembered, except scores maybe...) but we'll call him James because Jennifer and I both agree that we are pretty sure that is his name. Anyway our apartment is great and he's a great guy (for a Blue) and was super great to us the whole time (hence are going back to say in December) and if I could really remember his name, I would tell him to read this and say, "Cheers & Thanks." As it is if you ever want to spend some time in Liverpool check out Signature Living, nuff said.


Interlude One: Iraq


I've been asked several times since I've been back if I went home for R & R. And you know what I tell them? "Yes," say I. "I went home to Liverpool." Cos that is what it felt like (not that it is really anything like anywhere I've lived {'cept maybe San Francisco}) it felt like coming home. Maybe someday it will be. I would like to live 6 months in and 6 months out (actually I could go there and never come back, but that is not the Kosher thing to say) that would be great. And it would give everyone a great destination for vacations. I hope I can put across in the next few installments how much Liverpool means to me and how great it is, and why. I shall endevour.

End Interlude One




So Picture 1. is our landmark (for the life of me I can't remember what it is right now, but I do know we went and checked it out so that I could remember) anyway as we would head home (often times stumble) we would look up and see this structure. I am sure Jennifer will remember what it is (check the comments in the future, she set the cathedral straight.) We were right in the City Centre and it was fantastic, a pint was never more than a few blocks away. (That might be Fact One as to why Liverpool is so great.) As I have said I can't really remember day to day stuff, but I do know this...we had a great time EVERYDAY. We shopped quite a bit, we were both looking for shoes (I thought I needed something a little nicer than the 2 pairs of Converse I'd brought {black & red} and Jennifer wanted some red shoes and some trainers) there are probably more shoe stores in the City Centre than anywhere else in the world. And we put back on average (at least) five to ten pints a day, can't go wrong with that. Did I mention we had a great time?

That brings us to Pictures 2. & 3. Reading "The Echo" in a pub (I think this is the Philharmonic) for a bit of the bevy... you might notice that the breakfast dishes are still on the table.



Interlude Two: Reflection/Iraq


I promised Jennifer that I would add a little bit to the Story of a Madwoman. When she was doing her Shambolic thing with the car and the clothes she asked me the pointed question, "Have you ever had a car broken into?" and which point I had to reply, "Yes." Again... nuff said. I remember it well it was San Francisco, we went to a show I think (can't remember for sure but it may well have been The Cult with Guns & Roses opening up) and there was all kinds of stuff in the back (I had a Mercury LN7 {perhaps the worst car ever, definitely Top Ten, it had no backseats and a hatchback...picture that}) and there really was all this stuff. Part of a stereo (simulated wood grain and all) and who knows what else. Anyway what did they break in and steal? Cassette tapes (remember those?) one was G 'n R (maybe that is why I think it was that show) and a couple of others. Cassette Tapes!! Really!?! I didn't even tell Jennifer that at the time, I just sat back and watched the madwoman work. I am being eaten alive here by mosquitoes...everyone is. These bastards are relentless and number in the billions (seriously like a hydra...cut off one limb and two more grow back) I think. And they are somehow mutated, they can bite through clothes (I think I has bitten though my boots.) Normally (and even now, really) I am not that bothered by them. Don't get me wrong they still bite the shit out of me, but usually I can play the "mind over matter" card and not itch, but here all you have to do is touch your skin and it is like you went to town...skin turning red, welts growing, the feeling of tearing skin...the works. I mention this why? Please don't everyone rush out and send like Off or DDT or whatever...nothing effects the bastards. I am fine just thought I would share in case anyone is thinking of buying vacation property here after the war. These are the things you should know.


End Interlude Two: Reflection/Iraq


So do we get the gist of the whole thing by now? Liverpool = Great. Elevensies = First (usual timing, somedays earlier and somedays later) Pint = Great. Needing a coat everyday was no big thing especially as I knew where I was going back to. Seriously they would say, "It'll be around 14 today." on the news, we'd both look at each other with the "what the Hell does that mean?" look, and then I'd say, "It's not Iraq, so it sounds great." And it was.

If I close my eyes right now I can almost see...the blue lights wrapped around the trees in the car park across for our apartment...the River Mersey winding through town...the half drunken smile of my wife as we head to the next pub.

I can't remember much of the day to day, but I do remember that they were some of the best days of my life.

Cheers,
g

No comments:

Post a Comment