10 May 2010

"You Can Ring My Bell" {Horrible, I Know}

Liverpool
Day ?-? (Not Thursday night yet.)

Let the ale flow... need I say more? I suppose I should but really we were just getting into being somewhere that felt like home. I know that home felt like home for Jennifer, but for me home is just a word for trailer where my stuff is and/or someplace that isn't where I work.

So this was great, yeah. Beer's good, food's good, people are good... can't go wrong really. So we dove in, went to the market and got some stock, for tea and breakfast and snack time. And for a can or bottle or two (or more) of bitter. Typical day was up in the morning get breakfast, have a walk, have a pint, have a walk, maybe (hahaha, maybe... more like usually) another pint, back to the apartment for tea and snack, out for dinner and a few more pints. Sounds sound yes.


Picture 1. The Church of St. Luke, known locally as "the bombed out church." It just sits there kinda wonderfully in the middle of town, just outside the city centre. Evidently they open it up every once in awhile and do stuff like art shows and even movies (nothing like that going on for us though.) Pretty cool, yeah.



Interlude: Iraq


"and there's a Howl, Howl, Howling Wind,
Ringing 'round my ears.
and a Wild, Wild Wind is a blowing,
Tearing down my Tears."

A wind like a hairdryer that is. Put your hairdryer on High and Hot, put it up to your face and you've got your very own windy day in Iraq. Isn't it just like being there? But the plus (last night anyway, tonight there is not even a breeze {or there wasn't last time I was out}) was that even the Mutant Mosquitoes couldn't keep up with it. I reckon they all blew somewhere, but at least they weren't biting as much. Small pleasures, small victories. You take what you can get.


End Interlude


So anyway back to the pubs (oh, you don't know how good that sounds) where we spent the bulk or our time I guess, who knows I wasn't counting. I suppose I should try and write this off as a business trip... not only did we get some good ideas for The Bar, but also in what kind of beer we need to focus on brewing. Its all about The Bitter, baby. And not like those "bitter beer face" ads from Keystone Light, or whoever (pretty sure it was them though, amazing how a horrible beer can try and make you drink it by telling you, "Our beer is what beer should taste like...fekinell!) Those bastards and their crappy beer and crappier ads make everyone scared of the word Bitter, but look at the source.

Tirade over.


Picture 2. In many many pubs there were these little buttons. And yes we probably took pictures very similar to this one everytime we sat near one. Musta been the ale. Don't know if they were for service in some more civilized era or what, but whatever we had a laugh.

And that is what it is all about right, having a laugh getting away from here. If they told me I had to walk back, I would be on my way in a hot minute.

Cheers,
g



No comments:

Post a Comment