01 May 2010

A Home Among Heroes

Day One/Two
London

I first heard about Emily Prince through the Stars & Stripes (our only real source of "news" here, print anyway) maybe you've heard of her and her work "The American Servicemen & Women Who Have Died in Iraq and Afghanistan (but Not Including the Injured, Nor the Iraqis, Nor the Afghans)" if not please Google her and check it out. She can tell her story better than I can, but the title says it all she has taken on the task of sketching all of the American Servicemen and Women... an amazing tribute to these fallen heroes. Needless to say I was intrigued, and when I learned that her work was showing at the Saatchi Gallery in London I knew we had to go. I remember telling Jennifer and Arne and a few others. I thought it would be pretty amazing to see the project and to see our friend SFC Isaac S. Lawson who was killed during our last tour.

I don't remember if it was Arne or Jennifer (sorry to both, this was full mid rumble of the deployment) who took a closer look at her website and noticed that a picture of Isaac wasn't there. There was a "frame" if you will that had his name and the dates of his birth and death, and that he was from Sacramento. So I went for a look around and saw that her email was posted on the web, so I sent her a message. We had very good correspondence, she really seems like a great person. I shared a photo that I had taken of Isaac and just days later she sent me her drawing. There I sat, lump in my throat, tear in my eye...not just seeing Isaac, but knowing this wonderful lady had jumped on the chance to draw him. At this point I let Ms. Prince know that my wife and I were going to London in April and were going to see her work. She apologized that Isaac's picture would not be there. I told her not to worry I would take my friend and show him his place among the heroes.

I want to take and do a better job on this and send it to her and maybe do something for the Family Newsletter that the Unit puts out, and in truth (as I sit her in tears {and proud joy}) this is one of the reasons that I was hesitant to start at the beginning. I hope that I have done all parties justice here, I know that Ms. Prince has done justice to all of our fallen brothers and sisters.

I have waited hours for the pictures upload, do without further ado.

One is of Ms. Prince's drawing of my friend Isaac.


Two is me holding him up towards his proper place among the heroes (they are lined up from the top by date) I couldn't quite get high enough but...
Three is me and Isaac.

I just want to take a minute to say some thank yous...

To Ms. Prince for her Herculean work. Bless You.

To all those who have fallen in this conflict, and to all those who have given their lives in the service of their country. We Shall Never Forget.

To all those who have served and supported those that served. United We Stand.

And to my friend SFC Isaac Shawn Lawson, not a day goes by when I don't think of you and the knowledge and strength you gave all of us. "Too Easy," you'd always say. Thank you.

"Too Easy."

Cheers,
g

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous04 May, 2010

    Awesome Greg! Have you sent this link to Suzzettee yet?

    Arne

    ReplyDelete