12 December 2011

"Not To Fix, But To Stop It From Getting Worse'

The above is a quote from the neurosurgeon, and it really sums things up.  If I actually have less pain then that is really a bonus.  Now if I can get everyone to understand that at one time...

So the pre-op appointment went fine, its amazing that for a cripple I am still in surprising good shape (for the shape I'm in) and should have no problems with what they want to do. The surgery itself is 2-3 hours and I should be in the hospital itself that day and most likely the next day. After that I should be back sleeping on my couch.

From there is where it gets a little more blurry. There is no real set timelin or chart that tells me, "by here I should be there" I am supposed to get up and walk around as I can, same goes with sitting and laying down. It is alot like right now, I do what my body lets me. I'll be wearing a brace 'round me neck pretty much full time for the fist 4 weeks, from there it just depends on my strength.

There is a good chance that I may have spasms to my arms and legs from the spinal cord being compressed as long as it has. These should go away fairly soon, if they come at all. I should have control over my bladder and all th,t so  no diaper changes...until Febuary at least.

For the first few weeks I am not supposed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, so it seems like 12-20 ounce curls can still be done (and the beer industry take a sigh of relief) . I am also not supposed to lift my hands above my head, and since I can't remember when the last time I could really do that was...

The most I may need during this time is some company, and while I can ride in a car (insert inside jokes here) and all that I don't think I will be doing a lot of housecalls for awhile. I am still looking towards brewing and the offer is still open to anyone that wants to learn something about the brewery arts. I have a guest room (until Febuary) and a couch if anyone wants (needs) to sleep here.


Thanks in advance for everything.


Cheers,
g

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg - Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Very much.

    Say hi to baby in your cute wife's belly for me.

    *H

    ReplyDelete