
Liverpool-Chester
Week Two
I really didn't expect this to turn into a "My R & R Travelogue" but it seems to be more and more turning into that as it have taken me almost two months to finish a three week vacation (like I said my guys would tell you that it was a month) but I am trying.
So on the advise of our Landlord "James" we decided to take the train over to Chester (now this is one of the places that I had talked about going to way back on our honeymoon, but let someone else tell her about it and it's the greatest idea ever) just 90 minutes or so south of Liverpool. Officially part of Cheshire, but agreed by many these days to be part of Merseyside, works for me it was great. Now what does Chester have you may ask... among it's many charms are some of the most complete and well kept Roman Walls.
ABOVE: The sun peaks through the clouds over the River Dee/Chester Canal. "Lovely," she said.
Really we had a great time and have slated it as one of those places were we would be happy to go back to and spend some more time, maybe even a night or two. They had great pubs all over the place and yeah we even stopped for tea in one of the oldest places around (or somesuch, my mind is going) that unfortunately they had made a little too modern inside for my tastes. The city center was kind of a crazy brick-a-brack of old and new which was actually very cool.. You got to walk around on the Roman walls and if you wanted to go buy a new pair of trainers you could do that too.

ABOVE: The Missus underneath Queen Victoria's Clock and a view from the Roman Walls. "Just Lovely," said the Mrs.Interlude: Iraq
Where If It's Wednesday It Must Be Tuesday: Part Two Electric Boogaloo
Where yeah it's another day, but they are all so the same. It was the Army's Birthday yesterday which meant we had a luau (I know right) and were actually treated to TWO WHOLE BEERS. Crazy, I know, but we almost got to feel like adults if only for a minute or two. But hey, that's two more beers than I had last time I was here. Actually that make FOUR more beers than I had last time (cos of the Super Bowl) so "I guess I shouldn't complain" and I won't.
It is also (and more importantly) World Cup time. Which is great for football fans like myself. Unfortunately it also means answering the same ridiculous questions day in and day out. I don't know what is wrong with Americans (a generalization, I know but...) why they have to fear and mock what they do not understand. It is the way of the world though, isn't it? Whatever People (another generalization, but in the words of Donald "Duck" Dunn, "If the shit fits, wear it") don't understand they automatically fear and then feel that they must mock. Does it make them feel bigger? better? I don't know. I just know it is tiring. I mean this is the World Cup, which unlike the World Series (don't get me wrong I love baseball...go Giants) where the world actually comes together and compete against each other in sport. Where sport actually brings people together (even the bazillionaires playing the games have to come together for their country and forget about whatever club rivalries they may have {and/or teammates for that matter}) the WORLD embraces football (soccer) and for a month the rest of the eyes are on the teams, the players, the supporters (fans) and wherever they may be playing. Tell me this isn't good for South Africa, I dare you. So why the small mindedness? Who knows? Who cares?
Oh, it's dusty and hot today. Just in case you were wondering. If I don't mention the weather, it's because it is still hot. Again I quote, "Why care about the weather, it always ends in dark"
Where If It's Wednesday It Must Be Tuesday: Part Two Electric Boogaloo
Where yeah it's another day, but they are all so the same. It was the Army's Birthday yesterday which meant we had a luau (I know right) and were actually treated to TWO WHOLE BEERS. Crazy, I know, but we almost got to feel like adults if only for a minute or two. But hey, that's two more beers than I had last time I was here. Actually that make FOUR more beers than I had last time (cos of the Super Bowl) so "I guess I shouldn't complain" and I won't.
It is also (and more importantly) World Cup time. Which is great for football fans like myself. Unfortunately it also means answering the same ridiculous questions day in and day out. I don't know what is wrong with Americans (a generalization, I know but...) why they have to fear and mock what they do not understand. It is the way of the world though, isn't it? Whatever People (another generalization, but in the words of Donald "Duck" Dunn, "If the shit fits, wear it") don't understand they automatically fear and then feel that they must mock. Does it make them feel bigger? better? I don't know. I just know it is tiring. I mean this is the World Cup, which unlike the World Series (don't get me wrong I love baseball...go Giants) where the world actually comes together and compete against each other in sport. Where sport actually brings people together (even the bazillionaires playing the games have to come together for their country and forget about whatever club rivalries they may have {and/or teammates for that matter}) the WORLD embraces football (soccer) and for a month the rest of the eyes are on the teams, the players, the supporters (fans) and wherever they may be playing. Tell me this isn't good for South Africa, I dare you. So why the small mindedness? Who knows? Who cares?
Oh, it's dusty and hot today. Just in case you were wondering. If I don't mention the weather, it's because it is still hot. Again I quote, "Why care about the weather, it always ends in dark"

ABOVE: I stole this from Arne's Facebook. We were the only people to think to bring Hawaiian Shirts to Iraq...go figure.
Tomorrow Is Wednesday, But It Will Still Be Monday
End Interlude

ABOVE: The sun keeps working it's way through over the Chester Canal this time. "Simply Lovely," quote the Missus.
So Chester, yeah. If you get a chance stop by. And if you happen to be in Liverpool, it is worth the 90 minute ride on the MerseyRail. Especially cos you won't have to worry about having too much of the bevy. Right, I did mention all the cool pubs, yeah? Had a great time, got back and moved back into the old apartment to finish out the week (what we thought at the time was our last week in Britain...little did we know.)
Cheers,
g
g,
ReplyDeletei have so been enjoying your trip tales. my wanderlust is totally fueled by your adventures with the missus (i love that you call j that).
and may i say how much i love that you and your friends took hawaiian shirts with you to iraq?
viv is working on her air guitar (and musical prowess in general) so she should be ready for a jam session when you come! home! soon!
cheers to you! *H+V+v