Note: You might want to turn down the volume, it really isn't the greatest sound quality (and it's not just me.)
So I charged up the Flip and I know I have been pretty terrible at taking pictures and stuff around here, so i think we are having a BBQ tonight so maybe I will get some rare footage of Soldiers (gasp) having fun. Crazy I know, but you make the best out of what you have.
While I have your attention...(Note: I stole liberally from my buddy Arne's Blog, but since we are of the same mind and heart on this I am sure he won't mind. {Besides that way I know it has been spell checked, thanks buddy.})
We are raising money for a Fallen Soldier statue for our Brigade Headquarters. This will make certain that for years to come, Soldiers and civilians that enter that armory are reminded of the sacrifices that SFC Isaac S. Lawson and several other Soldiers of the California Army National Guard made during the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The statue in and of itself is one that many have probably seen. It consists of a pair of Soldier’s boots, M16 rifle, helmet and dog tags. It is cast from bronze. The real version of these items is used at every memorial of a Fallen Soldier. The bronze version isn’t cheap.
There is one particular artist who makes these bronze statues available in the form that is appropriate for this use. Yes, there are several cheaper “knock-off’s” made in China – out of paper-mâché type materials. But that won’t work. We need a bronze statue – something that will be around long after you and I are gone - that will endure the test of time.
Artist Richard Rist is the guy who makes these bronze statues available to organizations and families who want to do just that. You can see his work at http://largeart.com/detail.aspx?id=107
The cost for this is going to be about $4,500.00 for the statue and an accompanying plaque that will list the names of those that gave their lives. Our Family Readiness Coordinator has made contact with a non-profit organization that we will use to gather the funds. Yes, it is a religious organization, but please do not let your personal religious beliefs sway you in your contribution. This has been done specifically so that your contribution for this project can be tax deductable.
This is your chance to say thank you in a lasting fashion, to all those who gave their lives defending our freedom. Your gift will make sure they will never be forgotten. This statue will be around long after we’re gone. It will become a legacy and those that come after we are departed, to defend us in future wars, will remember those that gave their lives years prior.
Most of you know that when I am not in Iraq I travel and work at the SFC Isaac S. Lawson Armory in F airfield. Right now we have a plague on the outside wall and a picture of Isaac just inside the front doors. Well everyday when I enter the armory I touch the plaque and then the picture and say hello to Isaac, just like I would if I were shaking his hand. On my way home I repeat the process and say goodbye to my friend. (You know what, I haven't even been thinking about it, but I really do miss that.) I guess what I am saying is that I would love to have another talisman to greet me, and say goodbye to me when I am at the armory. (That part is all me, thanks to Arne for the rest {spell check included}.)
Here is The Official Request:
In support of the Family and Friends of all Fallen Soldiers who served the 49th Military Police Brigade during OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM AND/OR OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. Collections are being sought for a Bronze Memorial Statue to honor the service and ultimate sacrifice made by those who bravely and heroically gave their life while performing their duty. The Memorial Statue will be displayed with Honors at the 49th Military Police Brigade Headquarters, SFC Isaac S. Lawson Armory, 510 Parker Road, Fairfield, California.
Those wanting to donate to this specific project should make their checks payable to:
Eagles Nest Foundation
231 Market Pl., #193
San Ramon, CA 94583
925-833-8122
Note: please make sure that donors specify in a cover letter and/or on the memo line of the check that the donation is specific to the “Lawson Fallen Soldier Memorial Fund”
Eagles Nest Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)3. Tax Exempt number available upon request.
Thanks for letting me take your time. Thanks.
Cheers,
g
soorry but have been out of contact, will talk to Patty
ReplyDeleteuntil then LOVE ,me