06 July 2010

'Round & 'Round

Liverpool
Day ?

So here are some shot of around Merseyside, we spent an afternoon just wandering around taking pictures and takin' in the sights. Went up to St. George's Hall and took some pictures of the fountain, not "The Fountain" mind ('cept it is featured in the center of the album booklet, in black & white) still haven't found that one.
Also took in the Liverpool Cathedral, a modern marvel built in the early 1900's using all only the tools and processes that were available at the time. When thought of in that sense it really is a marvel I guess. It is very cool inside and out, we didn't do the Tower Tour (maybe next time, maybe at night...who knows though.) Like all good cathedrals (I suppose) it have as great garden/cemetery. With a natural spring (see picture of yours truly and the missus below) and everything, a nice walk (yes dear well worth the time and the effort) and Jennifer now knows where she wants to live when we move. The are a couple of real nice areas 'round the cathedral where I could see myself living. Still near enough to a few locals and the city centre, yeah I could see that...

Interlude: Iraq

So i have taken it upon myself to try and see beyond my own jaded eyes and take pictures of the things I see every day. So I took a couple out my door at Iraqhenge. I can just see Aliens or people from the future wandering around trying to figure out what all these concrete monoliths were for. They'll probably find some pogs hidden underneath the mile deep gravel that they just keep piling on top. Seriously I bet if you took some kind of sample or a reading of the elevation 'round here before we got here and one now, it would probably be significantly higher.


I also got one of Target Reference Point 49, the tower that stands above our compound. This is just a joke, but when we first got here and saw it all lit up...that was our first thought. "Wow at least the bad guys have something to aim at."


And then there is the bunker right outside of our shop door. I've spent alot of time in this bunker. Sometimes for IDF (InDirect Fire) but mostly for smoking. More on this later, not the smoking or the IDF, just the bunker, it has a very special feature...probably the only one like it in Iraq.


End Interlude

So our tour took us all the way up to the seaside town of Southport, at bit of where the more well to do live and play. We all know these places from wherever we live, be it Santa Barbara, Marin, or El Dorado Hills...its all the same. But we did get out to the ocean and got to take in more of Meresyside.


And it just wouldn't be right if we didn't find something that bore the ol' namesake. Knotty Ash is an old district of Liverpool. I think we stopped and had a pint somewhere 'round here, but I couldn't be sure. Evidently there is or was a giant ol' Ash Tree that was the city centre (we never did find it) and I am guessing it was knotty or maybe people got naught 'round it.



So as much as I hate to admit it we are drawing to a close on our time in Liverpool. We do have one very special day left though. It's funny thinking about it now I almost feel the same sadness that I did then. Don't worry though, we'll be back, and thanks to the Icelandic volcano there is still plenty of travelogue to go. I think I might just make it to the end of tour with it. Of course I really should get to doing this thing daily or more than weekly or whatever I am doing now.

Then the next question comes...do I keep this thing going once the tour ends? I don't know yet, but I think it might be a good idea. Sure it won't be as exciting or fancy or whatever, but it is a way to work through things. I've had some high points and some low points over this year and through this blog. So yeah maybe I think I will, but it will leave it to the people. What do you want?

Cheers,
g

2 comments:

  1. Keep the blog! I am excited about all your continued adventures back at home with your missus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people have spoken! Thanks all.

    ReplyDelete