03 August 2010

"Ringside Seats... There's A Rumble In Brighton Tonight"

Brighton - Hove
Day ? Is it Monday?

Brighton isn't the Brighton that Jane Austin wrote about... if it ever was. Once the playground of royalty and the rich,Brighton is now...


I's not bad or anything, just different than what either of us expected. Like I said the missus knew about Brighton and the like from ol' Jane, me I expected nothing I guess. I don't even thing the Brighton alluded to above is even the "right" Brighton. But since we were down south might as well take it all in, "don't know when I'll be back again" and all that. Guess I am just a northerner at heart, Northern California, Northern Brition, northern Iraq was okay too, you know if you like brownish gray snow. But (as usual) I digress...

Simple fact is that it's matchday, and we are trapped (pleasently though) in ol' Blighty so why not back to the Promised Land to watch the Reds take on the Hammers? I asked, I mentioned it more than once... not that we had a bad time in Brighton, but... I know, I know get over it yeah. Okay as of now i won't mention the fact that we shoulda gone back to Liverpool. (Well maybe once more, but it will all be in context, promise.)


We had a good walk around though, checked out the pier and all that. Didn't really get caught up in the games or attractions, but I reckon we simply aren't those kinda folks. Yeah no sand on this beach just these lovely sand coloured rocks.


Best part though was the fact that once we finally found a place to watch the match, we got to do so in our own private lounge. Or so it seemed, they said they were going to be showing it upstairs at a Whetherspoon's but they hadn't opened the velvet rope yet, The missus being who she is once the clock struck she was over the rope and up the stairs. Clocked out a couch right in front of the giant tele, and I eventually brought up the ale. I didn't see where she went at first, and was thinking she was coming back. She came and got me eventually and we took our seats to watch the Reds hammer the Hammers. Only thing though (yeah here it comes again) we saw all these empty seats at Anfield and inspite of our good fortune we felt a little homesick. The picture at the top of the blog (the banner, if you will) is actually taken from that night. That's me reaching for a Bombadier as the Men In Red score.

Tonight I will download the last of the Iraq pictures and get ready to close down that chapter. Still a couple days from the Capitol to ramble on about as far as Jolly Ol' so stay tuned if you want to hear the venom and frustration that is London.

Back in the states as of way too early today.

Cheers,
g

No comments:

Post a Comment