07 August 2010

A Time of Leaving: Part the First - Iraqi Style

Book One:
"Like a Ghost Town"


No shit there we were... the last men standing. The unit is on their way home but someone must tie up the loose ends. Matt asked me and how could I refuse, this was it really to finish, to put the period on the end of our sentence (in more ways than one really) in history.


I know, I said I'd never set foot on this monstrosity, but I felt like it was finally gonna get used by Soldiers. We really couldn't resist sitting in the custom made chairs (for the previous Brigade Commander and Command Sergeant Major {Hence the Eagle-not a Star})

We finally got to pack, you know that stuff that everyone else did a week ago and move out of our room. We thought we might as well shrink our footprint. So it was down to the compound to the Executive Trailers, so indoor plumbing for a day at least. Bed bigger than a coffin all that good stuff. But with no one around it was like a ghost town, all we were missing was the tumbleweeds. There were the hangers on (the people who decided it would be a good idea to stay with other units) scooting around who came to scavenge from the wreckage that was left behind. No one really offered to help us with anything, except Eraser Zero but since we really hadn't seen any of these folks for a few days anyway who cares? And it was a little like the Fall of Saigon too, as the time wasn't really published for everyone to leave, and it was pretty early in the AM too. But that is why we were there right, make sure all the T's were dotted and the I's were crossed.

For One Night Only, my own personal toilet and shower.

Of course we had to repack at least once when we got down to the compound, so we didn't get a lot of sleep in our wet CHUs, but when I had to pee I didn't have to walk fek all around to do so, worth it, same with the shower.


Here's the worst road on base, that they couldn't bother to fix until we left.


Book Two:
"Turn the Lights Off When You Leave"


Trips to the incinerator made, keys sorted and turned in, stuff mailed off, arrangements made for the connexs (that should have really left a couple of weeks ago) to head on their long sea journey home. Check, Check, and Double Check, yeah now it's starting to feel real. Long days of getting all this stuff done and figured out are all worth it, cos now we can go go go. Hanging out with the truck drivers and working on Iraqi Sign Language 130 degree heat, frustration, and whatever else all worth it. Watching those big boxes get lifted really gave me feeling of true something...completion, closure, reality... can't really put my finger on it but there it is.



Of course all that was left then were a few emails and phone calls before we turned all that stuff off, I guess besides being a good friend that was my real job, shutting the network down (and I gorra say it felt kinda good too, that) and collecting up everything that still had to be turned in. So I locked the back gate, something that pro'ly hadn't been done in years, neither of us had ever seen it closed. The we burned our last batch of nonsense and made a final sweep of the compound and locking the front gate said, "So Long Suck Hole!"



Now all that was left was sleeping on metal benches at the airport and hoping we could get an early flight out. Helicopter, airplane, pterodactyl... we'd have taken anything. It was still 105 at 2200 or so when we headed out to the airport for the last time, and though we wouldn't quite be leaving Iraq yet, that was okay too. We were shaking off the shackles that had bound us (of course we traded them in for uncomfortable metal benches and the bruises and aches and pains that went with trying to "sleep" on them and headed to meet up with the rest of the company.

And when we finally did get there (we almost made the first flight out, but they only had one seat) the lads (Tim, Top, and the Bomber) were very thoughtful and had gotten us a CHU to sleep in so that we didn't have to go to the tent and General Population. A few hours later we were actually on the plane that would take us out of Iraq, until the 20 year reunion at least.

I have some pictures and video from the helicopter ride across Iraq to the Wild Wild West that I will have to put up later. Till then...

Cheers,
g

No comments:

Post a Comment