"Finally," you say. Or maybe you've been dreading it all together, but here comes the blog about the gig. It was advertised as "The Buxton Bistro Presents...Those Guys! Live at the Sentinel Pavilion Saturday 2030. We came pretty close to kicking off in time I think, or that's the way I remember it anyway. There was probably 20 or 30 people there (no MWR scout, but whatever) they may have come for the fake beer, or the BBQ, or the cigars, or the kareoke, or to laugh, or (as I like to think) to support Those Guys.
First up we stumbled into "Evergreen" and actually finished it, we hadn't been doing too good at finishing songs the last few practices, there was one night where we didn't even finish a single song, but enought about that. After "Evergreen" came the only original of the night, a song called "Murder" then into the Joy Division classic (and I guess Fall Out Boy or some such shite has recently covered it too) "Love Will Tear Us Apart" then a firery rendition of the Waylon Jennings classic "Just to Satisfy You."
After some heartfelt banter with the crowd (a lively bunch regardless of whatever reason they came) I suggested we rename the unofficially named Sentinel Pavilion, the Lawson Memorial Pavilion (or as I like to think of it Isaac's. It is a nice thought to get away from the office for a minute or two and think, "I'll go over to Isaac's and have a RipIt" or "Let's head over to Isaac's for a BBQ" you know a place to meet and unwind, whatever. The suggestion was applauded and "hooahed" and generally agreed upon by all.
So the band kicked into our last song and Sprad's big guitar solo with "Lips Like Sugar" with a little of this and a little of that thrown in for good measure. We all think it was a success and can't wait to do it again, hopefully with a few more songs for good measure. Dave did a great job behind the board, and Cedric did a great job behind the BBQ (or so I'm told, I know the pizza was good) and Ken did a good job of capturing the moment in true PAO fashion, now if I can only get him to condense the two camera shots of at least one song down to something I can post here. Until then here are a couple of pictures to tide you all over.
Hopefully next time everyone can be there will remember to show up (here I go asking for a blog war...not really but if I let it go would it really be me?)
Cheers,
g
PS. Yes I broke a string that night too, but not until the last song..whew.
So glad you're playing your music. Now I'm feeling inspired to go dig in my very old and dusty CD collection for my Joy Division album... (I wonder if I still have it?)
ReplyDeleteGotta love the "Tele"
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of strings you using? I'll send you some extra sets in a care package.
11's not sure of all the guages but the ones I am using now have 4 wound, they are probably like ernie ball, but of course one broke last night so...I bought a couple of different brands to see which are best. you kind of take things like strings for granted until you can't just run over to anywhere and grab them.
ReplyDelete